Email is big part of our everyday workflow. Getting hundreds of emails daily is a normal thing these days. Different people, different contexts, different actions make even harder to stay on top email.
Step 1: Emptying your Inbox
- regularly empty your inbox
- file everything that you don’t need to take an action on
- complete the emails that will take less than 2 minutes
- file those that you are waiting someone else to take action on in a folder: waiting-for
- file those that take you longer than 2 minutes in a folder: action
Now your inbox should be empty.
A very similar approach is presented by Merlin Mann with “Inbox Zero” over at google:
Step 2: Being in Control - Review your Folders
After getting your inbox to zero or emptying it you still have a lot left to do: Check the folders you have created regularly:
- manage and complete the emails in your “action” folder
- keep the mails in your “waiting-for” folder up-to-date
- keep emptying your inbox :)
If you are a gmail user you might like our article on getting productive with gmail priority inbox.